Florida officials said Wednesday they will not prosecute George Zimmerman on domestic violence charges related to a Nov. 18 incident, a day after his girlfriend changed her story and released a statement saying, “I want to be with George.”
Zimmerman, who was acquitted earlier this year in the high-profile shooting death of Trayvon Martin, was arrested Nov. 18 after girlfriend Samantha Schiebe frantically called 911 on Nov. 18 and said he was “breaking all my stuff” and had a gun. He faced charges of aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief, with a maximum of five years in prison.
On Wednesday State Attorney Phil Archer in Seminole County said prosecution was unlikely because of Schiebe’s decision not to cooperate and the lack of corroborating evidence, the Associated Press reports.
A day earlier Schiebe released a statement saying she does not want to press charges against Zimmerman.
“I believe that the police misinterpreted me and that I may have misspoken about certain facts in my statement to the police,” she said.
Zimmerman, 30, has faced multiple legal programs, including three traffic violations that have drawn the national spotlight, since his murder trial ended in July. In September police questioned him in connection with a domestic dispute with his wife, but he was not charged.