Renisha McBride Autopsy Confirms That Detroit Teen Was Shot in Face

The death of the unarmed 19-year-old who was seeking help after a car accident has raised questions of racial profiling by the shooter and stalling by authorities, who have not pressed charges

  • Share
  • Read Later
Porch Shooting

The front cover of a funeral service program for 19-year-old Renisha McBride at House of Prayer & Praise Cathedral in Detroit on Friday, Nov. 8, 2013. McBride was shot and killed by a Dearborn Heights home owner in the early morning hours of Saturday, November 2 after she approached his house.

The 19-year-old woman whose death has received national attention and calls for justice had a shotgun wound to her face, according to an autopsy report released Monday. The shot was not fired at close-range.

McBride’s death was ruled a homicide by the Wayne County Assistant Medical Examiner. According to the autopsy, the teen was wearing a blue jacket, black shirt, black pants and white socks, all of which were wet. Toxicology results are still pending, according to the Detroit News.

On Monday, the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said it was reviewing the police department’s investigation for possible charges against the 54-year-old man who allegedly shot and killed McBride.

Renisha McBride’s family insists she was looking for help following a car accident at around 2:30 a.m. when she approached the Dearborn Heights home where she was killed. The 19-year-old was a graduate of Southfield High School outside Detroit and worked at the Ford Motor Company.

The homeowner’s lawyer Cheryl Carpenter told the News that the shooting was justified because the 54-year-old thought he heard people trying to break into his home, though she added that her client recognizes the “tragedy” of the teen’s death.

“Let’s wait and not prejudice,” said Carpenter. “Nobody including the police, the prosecutor or the public has all the information yet.”

McBride’s death has gained nationwide attention from civil rights leaders and others who have demanded justice for the unarmed teenager. Several vigils, including one over the weekend which drew 200 people, have been held in memory of McBride, whose funeral was held last Friday.

[Detroit News]