Officials in Newtown, Conn., have unanimously approved a local ordinance that limits recreational shooting in the town.
The ordinance, which was being debated prior to the deadly Dec. 14 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, was approved last week. It prohibits residents from shooting for more than four hours after police are notified and only one person at a time may shoot. Target backstops, which must be 10 feet above the target, are required.
Jeff Capeci, Newtown’s legislative council president said the ordinance strikes a balance between those who want to protect their Second Amendment rights and others who are worried about safety and nuisance issues. Hunters and professional law enforcement are not affected by the ordinance.
“It’s a good compromise considering the varying interests,” Capeci told the Danbury News-Times.
During the debate over the new rules, hundreds of people gave some 200 hours of testimony. Some from outside of Newtown gave testimonials.
Approval of the new rules comes almost 10 months after a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary, killing 20 children and six staff members.