Boston Marathon Bans Backpacks After Deadly Bombing

The 118th Boston Marathon will have a 'no-bags' policy

  • Share
  • Read Later

The Boston Marathon on Wednesday announced a “no bags” policy for the upcoming race on April 21, a year after two bombs placed in backpacks exploded near the finish line and killed three people.

In a statement posted to its website, the Boston Athletics Authority said bags larger than a fanny pack are banned from the race area. The BAA will provide clear plastic bags for official participants to store equipment at a gear check area about half-a-mile from finish area.

On April 16 last year, two bombs exploded within seconds of each other, killing three and injuring 264 others.

Federal prosecutors said last month they will seek the death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing. His brother and alleged accomplice Tamerlan died during a police shootout following the search for suspects.

2 comments
Openminded1
Openminded1

What Boston needs to ban is f-ing muslims not bags. Just like the TSA needs to profile Muslims, and middle eastern people not little old ladies from Pasadena.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,105 other followers