Fire officials ordered the evacuation of more than 1,500 residents in the small towns near the San Jacinto Mountains as the Silver Fire chars communities still reeling from last month’s Mountain Fire, which laid waste to 43 square miles of land just 20 miles south. Two firefighters and a resident were reported injured as crews attempt to rein in the blaze, fueled by strong winds, after it grew overnight to 10,000 acres and destroyed at least 15 structures.
More Photography from Time
- Behind the Scenes at One of the World’s Busiest Airports
- Remembrance: Leonard Knight’s Salvation Mountain
- Wicked Winter Strikes Again: Photos of the Storm’s Fury
- Snow Woes: Ice Freezes South, Stranding Thousands
- 10 Most Shiver-Inducing Photos Of The Never-Ending Winter
- Glendora Fire Rages Near Los Angeles