Fire officials ordered the evacuation of more than 1,500 residents in the small towns near the San Jacinto Mountains as the Silver Fire chars communities still reeling from last month’s Mountain Fire, which laid waste to 43 square miles of land just 20 miles south. Two firefighters and a resident were reported injured as crews attempt to rein in the blaze, fueled by strong winds, after it grew overnight to 10,000 acres and destroyed at least 15 structures.
More Photography from Time
- Metro North Train Derailment: See Photos From the Scene
- How TIME Covered Kennedy
- Dozens of Tornadoes Devastate the Midwest
- Freezing? Warm Up With These Incredible Photos of the Sun’s Surface
- Photos From Inside North Dakota’s Oil Boom Town
- Before and After: A Remarkable Year of Recovery from Hurricane Sandy