In 2012, sheriff’s deputies in Brooks County, Texas, uncovered 129 bodies, around double the number of the year before and six times recorded fatalities from 2010. Most of those who perished succumbed to the punishing heat and rough terrain of the ranch-lands of south Texas. Many migrants, after spending several weeks travelling through Mexico and past the Rio Grande, spend a few days in “stash houses,” such as the Casa del Migrante, in Reynosa, Mexico, and many are ignorant of the treacherous journey that lies ahead.
More Photography from Time
- Behind the Scenes at One of the World’s Busiest Airports
- Remembrance: Leonard Knight’s Salvation Mountain
- Wicked Winter Strikes Again: Photos of the Storm’s Fury
- Snow Woes: Ice Freezes South, Stranding Thousands
- 10 Most Shiver-Inducing Photos Of The Never-Ending Winter
- Glendora Fire Rages Near Los Angeles