The weather system spans from Michigan to Louisiana across a broad expanse of the eastern half of the U.S., bringing winds strong enough to overturn 18-wheelers and reducing buildings to rubble. Some areas of Tennessee and Kentucky were battered by quarter-sized hail, leaving thousands without power.
More Photography from Time
- Tornado Flattens Suburb Outside Oklahoma City, Kills Dozens
- Deadly Tornadoes Leave Path of Destruction in Texas
- Fatal Frontier: The Perils of Crossing the Rio Grande
- ‘Stand and Fight’: Scenes from the NRA’s Annual Meeting
- Wildfires Ravage California Coast
- Springtime in the Midwest Means a Foot of Snow