Abraham Lincoln’s angular features, beard and signature top hat gave the 16th president quite a distinctive look. From the daguerreotype that’s the earliest-known photograph of Abraham Lincoln, taken circa 1846-1847, to the portrait that would adorn the United States five-dollar bill for nearly a century, TIME looks back at the many faces of a beloved president.
More Photography from Time
- Behind the Scenes at One of the World’s Busiest Airports
- Remembrance: Leonard Knight’s Salvation Mountain
- Wicked Winter Strikes Again: Photos of the Storm’s Fury
- Snow Woes: Ice Freezes South, Stranding Thousands
- 10 Most Shiver-Inducing Photos Of The Never-Ending Winter
- Glendora Fire Rages Near Los Angeles