On September 30, 1962, legendary Chicano civil rights activist Cesar Chavez founded what would become the United Farm Workers of America—and with migrant labor a focus of the U.S. political debate, the UFW’s 50th anniversary is especially relevant.
More Photography from Time
- Behind the Scenes at One of the World’s Busiest Airports
- Remembrance: Leonard Knight’s Salvation Mountain
- Wicked Winter Strikes Again: Photos of the Storm’s Fury
- Snow Woes: Ice Freezes South, Stranding Thousands
- 10 Most Shiver-Inducing Photos Of The Never-Ending Winter
- Glendora Fire Rages Near Los Angeles