Two are dead and nine injured after what appears to be a reported workplace dispute escalated into gunfire at one of New York City’s most iconic landmarks.
More Photography from Time
- Behind the Scenes at One of the World’s Busiest Airports
- Remembrance: Leonard Knight’s Salvation Mountain
- Wicked Winter Strikes Again: Photos of the Storm’s Fury
- Snow Woes: Ice Freezes South, Stranding Thousands
- 10 Most Shiver-Inducing Photos Of The Never-Ending Winter
- Glendora Fire Rages Near Los Angeles
Perhaps what's most banal about the shoot out is that initially bystanders thought it was a celebrity sighting meanwhile in the immediate vicinity there were billboards of action heroes brandishing guns. Is it any wonder that the common man is now turning to extreme violence either as a way to assert his independence, his individuality, to settle scores or maybe just to get his own 15 minutes of fame?